Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I go to Hobart College and they require students to live on…

Customer Question
I go to Hobart...

I go to Hobart College and they require students to live on campus for four years. Yet, most students in the past have gotten approval to live off campus their senior year. However, the school has become more strict in regards ***** ***** approval process and are not letting a great deal of students off campus this year. What is the legality of this? In many cases they are forcing students to pay both on-campus boarding costs, while these students have already signed leases and are required by contract to pay off campus rent.

Lawyer's Assistant: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?

Fixed term, year long lease with a written agreement to rent off campus

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Geneva, New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Would it be possible to become a part time student and "commute from home" but still live in my off campus house

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/1/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law replied 9 months ago
Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is ***** *****

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Private schools, colleges and universities can legally require students who attend such private schools, colleges and universities to reside on campus and as long as such requirement is equally applied to all students and off-campus residence requires school's permission, then such requirement would be perfectly legal.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.

Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law