Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Just reading previous questions regarding shared driveway.we

Customer Question

Just reading previous questions regarding shared driveway.we have lived in our property 11 years and we have a driveway as does my neighbour to access the driveway is shared access due to a lampost and that we have a wall as do they . I used to for many years before my neighbour moved in park my car between both houses as it eased congestion on a congested street and my husband would park on the drive . The previous neighbours also had 2 cars so we would both share the space inbetween both houses as it is on both of part or each others land. The current neightbour has lived in the property about 18 months when he moved in my car was parked inbetween the houses and he didnt complain but then I moved it onto the road due to building work that took several months which we moved out for a couple of months and when we moved back it took a while to clear remaining debris which is now clear. My other neighbour on the other side son just passed his test and has a car so they want to park both cars outside which means outside our property on the road where I have been parking so I said if no problems I will park inbetween both houses again just to make it easier for everyone to park. My neighbour completely refuses as said is his land I have asked if he can be civil and I tried to explain the reasons but he was totally not having it which is a shame but fair enough I won't park there I will park on the road and other people will have to put up with the already congested road. The thing is he is threatening to put a fence up to stop any access onto my driveway , I can't see him doing that as it will stop or restrict access for his driveway but the point is can he do this ?
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you know who owns the lot?
Customer: what do you what state ? we owe the driveway and the neighbour owns other driveway but the actually access into property is shared its part mine part his . Can I just add my neighbour rents the property while we own ours but he is saying the landlord is saying put a fence up. The landlord lived in the house when we moved in and owned a van and a car which he used to park inbetween both houses on our land and we didnt mind.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no hoping it wont come to that just advice on if he can block access to our driveway.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: think that's everything
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this is happening.

The law on this varies by location. Where do you live?