Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If a buyer in a sale of a business values a covenant not to…

Customer Question
If a buyer in a...
If a buyer in a sale of a business values a covenant not to compete at $50,000 is he limited to that amount if the seller violates the covenant?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/31/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

If the $50,000 is stated as liquidated damages then that is the limit the seller would be liable for.

The value in the contract is goodwill $300,000 and covenant not to compete $50,000

If the buyer can prove additional damages then it could be more. The covenant to not compete value is likely for purchase price allocation. It is not, necessarily, a measure of damages.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise.

Did you have further questions? I am happy to continue if you do.
Otherwise, have I answered your question.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!