Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

The question: Is there a statute of limitations for builder…

Customer Question
The question: Is there a statute...
The question:
Is there a statute of limitations for builder errors?
How does this get resolved?Property A – The original owner. Evidence shows that the builder built a portion of the house approximately 5 ft. over property B’s property line, approximately 27 years ago .Property B – The neighbor, the current Owner is the second owner that purchased the house from property B’s, original owner, in 2007. Not from the builder.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/31/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under CA law there is a 4 year statute of limitations for building defects for breach of contract/negligent work. This time generally runs from time the defect is discovered and under the CA statute of repose for hidden building defects the statute of limitations is 10 years from date of the completion of the construction. So if this construction was negligently designed 27 years ago it is too late to sue for construction defects.
As far as the boundary suit, which is what would be used here, the owner whose property encroaches on the other property would have a claim for adverse possession based on his home being over the line for 27 years and can seek to get ownership of that 5 feet of property by adverse possession.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.