Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I sold my mobile home on contract in "as-in" condition" for…

Customer Question
I sold my mobile...

I sold my mobile home on contract in "as-in" condition" for a set monthly payment & it was written up in contract-form & notarized. Now the buyer is saying that there are issues with electric, plumbing & 'structural' and that they are going to contact their lawyer about getting out of the contract they signed. It clearly states the Buyer is responsible for all repairs and up-keep of the home and also if any conditions of the agreement are not met they are responsible immediately to the Seller (myself) for the remainder of the balance of $10,000 which is the selling price of the home. The contract specifies that payment to me (for the Contract payment) & payment of the Lot Rent (to an outside party) was to start June 1st but now they are saying since there is nothing in the contract specifically stating it's due on the 1st of the month, they have the entire month to get the payment to me. And just now messaged me that since I 'didn't tell them the extent of the issues in the trailer' that they'd be contacting their lawyer about their options. I sold it on-contract in good faith and now it seems as though I made a bad decision, can you help clear any of this up?

Lawyer's Assistant: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?

Written, notarized contract for a fixed term of monthly payments of $250.00 untill 2021 (which would be close to $10,000)

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Boone, Iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is no title to this mobile home that i know of. I think I was the 3rd or 4th owner & a title was never signed over to me, or the previous owner before me.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/31/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 8 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Who drafted the paperwork/contract? Was you or an attorney or did you use forms you found somewhere?

Also, what is your specific question?

Tina, Lawyer