Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I live in Boston Ma, have rental property and have issued an

Customer Question

Good morning.
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I live in Boston Ma, have rental property and have issued an eviction notice to my tenant, that ends today. My tenant unknowing to me have subletting a room in my apartment. The tentant who had the lease have since moved out but the other people are still there. How do I get them to move out of my property?
JA: Is there an easement or public access on the property line?
Customer: What does that mean?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I reported this to the police department on Friday, and the officer stated I may have to file an eviction notice. This seems wrong to me due to the fact I had no agreement with these people. The court personnel sent me to the police station stating this is trespassing. So as you see I am being passed back an fort.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need them out ASAP, i AM VERY UNCOMFORTABLE LIVING NEXT DOOR IN MY DUPLEX APARTMENT
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Yes, this is civil, which is why the police are not going to get involved. It is not a situation whereby there was a breaking and entering, as they were given permission to reside and stay there by a tenant who did have legal possession of the rental. However, it does not mean that they can stay. As such, you need to evict ALL parties and ALL parties should be named when you file. Typically, a plaintiff will name ALL known tenants and then also serve and seek to evict Unknown Tenant 1 and Unknown Tenant 2, if their names are ***** ***** but the landlord knows there are people residing there. Those tenants who subleased can go after the tenant for damages, if they desire and you can go so far and speak with the tenants and share with them if they do not vacate, you will evict them.