Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

You helped me several weeks ago regarding a judgement in my

Customer Question

Hello:You helped me several weeks ago regarding a judgement in my history for a writ of possession. I have been told by the apartment community where I'm trying to rent to get a letter from my former landlord's attorney (the one that represented them to get the Writ of Possession). They're telling me the letter should state that I was never physically dispossessed and that my balance was paid in full. It should also be printed on the attorney's professional letterhead and be signed.My question: what is the best way to request this via an email? Would they even care and/or want to even help me?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

.

My question: what is the best way to request this via an email? Would they even care and/or want to even help me?

.

I would not send an email as it will never get read by the attorney. His secretary will likely read it and then delete it. You would want to send an actual written letter basically asking the attorney to please help you out by drafting the letter stating you were never physically evicted from the property and you did pay all delinquent rent..

.

But honestly, since there is nothing in it for the attorney, it is kind of unlikely that he is going to want to spend his time drafting a letter to help you when he isn't being paid for doing so.. It isn't very kind, but I know how attorneys are, and we sell our time and expertise, so if we aren't getting paid, then most are reluctant to spend their time for no return.

.

Your best option is still to file the motion to vacate and see if you can slip it by the landlord with him not bothering to respond.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, thanks. I thought as much. Is there any way you could send me a sample motion to vacate form to file, or would I be able to easily find one online?

This is what one looks like in a Family law case, but the format is basically the same for all courts..

.

https://www.flcourts.org/core/fileparse.php/533/urlt/922c.pdf

.

And a normally drafted one: http://stratpros.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Motion-to-Set-Aside-Default-00045902.pdf

.

.

thanks