Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley,
Experience:  Owner at The Protection Group LLC
99092957

My daughter is renting a house in Ft., Kentucky. She has

Customer Question

my daughter is renting a house in Ft. *****, *****tucky. She has three children. She has had problems with the property management company, owner, and maintenance person since signing the lease. Now she has sewage backup in basement and smell is through out house. She called emergency number last night and went to voicemail. She called owner and maintenance this morning and on one has came to take care of the problem. What right does she have? Can she contact a service to fix and send bill to property mgmt company?
JA: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?
Customer: a written year lease
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 2 months ago.

The issue now with regards ***** ***** house at your daughter is living in is that with the sewage situation and the smell coming from the basement the property is now uninhabitable. That is the key with regards ***** ***** tenant trying to either break a lease or terminate a lease is whether or not the property is uninhabitable. Is clear with the sewage issue that the property is not habitable especially with three children in the house. Since you have not heard from the property management company or the owner at this point, I think she is going to have to make arrangements to leave the property as it is not safe to stay. I would leave a message with all the people at this point that she is in the process of finding somewhere to live as it is an emergency. I would also let them know that the cost of staying somewhere else will be deducted from the rent. If something is not done quickly, then the lease will be considered broken and she will make arrangements to live somewhere else

how can I help you further?