Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My real estate agent sent me an email stating "they have…

Customer Question
My real estate agent...

My real estate agent sent me an email stating "they have decided to terminate our agreement to sell with them". They removed the sign and the lock box. Am I still obligated to them through the end of the original listing agreement?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Just their email to me is all I have

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/29/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

I wouldn't think so but to know for certain you would have someone there locally to examine the contract with them and the email they sent you. To me it sounds like they were basically canceling the contract which would relieve you of any obligation to them. My suggestion would be to have a local attorney to look over the email and the contract and then to send the real estate company a letter by certified mail return receipt requested stating that your understanding is that they have terminated the contract and that all services and should not expect any kind of payment. The attorney will use wording that is more legalistic but this is the essential meaning.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.