Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I called my land loard on July 3rd 2017 I left a message…

Customer Question
I called my land loard...
I called my land loard on July 3rd 2017 I left a message saying I will be moving out 8/15/2017. I have been harassed by nabors letters on my door calling me and my kids names. My land loard said don't worry they drunks. They have called the police many times the police laugh now when they come over. I Aslo have many things broken the day I moved in still not fixed. Am on a mouth to mouth never been late on rent I told my land loard I will pay 300 half the rent for August cuz am moving the15th he said I have to pay the hole 600 i have many text messages saved I sent him about my problems nothing has been done about it. What can I do
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/29/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, eligible to practice in front of state and federal court, who is ready to help. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. This appears to be a violation of the implied covenant (promise) of quiet enjoyment. All residential leases and rental agreements contain an implied covenant of quiet enjoyment. Under the implied covenant of quiet enjoyment, it states that the landlord will not take any action or make any omission which disturbs a tenant’s right to possession and quiet enjoyment of the premises. The warranty does not protect the tenant from the acts of third parties over whom the landlord has no control. However, if the landlord does have control over the situation, but chooses to do nothing, then it is a violation. What this means for you is that if they had the chance to stop the behavior of the other tenants, and they didn’t, then this covenant was broken. To help facilitate the situation, you may want to click here to download a “Complaint to Landlord” template and explain how the landlord is in control of the situation and that they are violating this covenant by not taking action. The template only costs $10 and the company that owns the template sends it securely in an email usually 1-2 business days after your purchase.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.