Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am looking to break my lease due to a fire whereby the…

Customer Question
I am looking to...

I am looking to break my lease due to a fire whereby the smoke detectors in my unit did not sound alarm. This was the case with at least three other units including The apartment below mine which suffered a total loss

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

The fire occurred today...not able to secure police report until Monday

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The end goal is to simply break lease and recover security deposit. Thanks

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/29/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Was your apartment damaged by water or smoke?

.

Have you notified the landlord about the smoke detectors?

.

.

thanks