Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am a landlord of offered to rent my condo and the

Customer Question
I am a landlord...

I am a landlord of offered to rent my condo and the prospective tenant agreed. I sent them a lease signed by me on Thursday night. They have not returned the lease but on Friday texted that they are having second thoughts. I told them that i was going to continue showing the condo and they said that sounded fair. Today i have found a replacement tenant who would really like to move in. Can i revoke the lease since it has not yet been signed by the first prospective tenant. The lease was sent as a PDF via email and the first prospective tenant did acknowledge receipt.

Lawyer's Assistant: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?

It is a year long lease starting in a couple of weeks

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Boulder colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The lease does not specify any time frame for signing.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/29/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK great.

Can i revoke the lease since it has not yet been signed by the first prospective tenant.

.

Yes, it is not considered an accepted binding contract until it is signed by the tenant. So you would need to communicate to them immediately that you were revoking the offer to lease so as to cancel it.

.

As long as you revoke it before they accept it and communicate that to you, you are fine..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can i revoke via email? I do have a service (RPost) that will send it registered

Yes, you just need to communicate that to the potential tenant before they notify you that they accept..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What language should i be sure to include?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I assume that i will of course reference the original lease, but do i need to use the word "revoke" or something else? Do i request confirmation or is the registered email enough? Do i need to request any followup?

All you need to do is contact them by some documentable source, like the email, and just state that you have to revoke the offer to rent to them because you have another person who has taken the property.. That ends it. It really is that simple. You don't need any specific legalease... just to convey the concept that the property it no longer being offered to them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, thanks

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much