RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

Is it legal for a partner who co-owns property to sell

Customer Question

Is it legal for a partner who co-owns property to sell without the consent of the other partner?
JA: Have you talked to a real estate attorney about this?
Customer: No.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO I co-own property with a ex-boyfriend in costa rica and he sold it to a low bidder that we agreed was to low and to wait. He countered the bid several times and then agreed to sell it without my consent.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: costa rica
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i'm just curious if what he did was legal as we own another piece of property and I would like to knowwhat is legal. I would like to understand what my rights as co-owner are.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Do you know if he sold his share/interest or the whole property? How was title transferred if you never agreed to sell and sign it over to the buyer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The titile was set up as Being Bliss Inc. and he acted as the executive of that. He has been handling the relations and monthly dues with the owner of the gated community in which this parcel is located in Costa Rica. I was sent the transfer of ownership. I can send it to you to review. He is manipulating my words which were yes let's be pro-active in selling the property and dis-entangling our relationship. let's get completion however when I was informed that we had a 40,000 offer I did not agree to selling since we purchased at 105,000 and I owe about 3,500 in property maintainence fees... Behind my back he counter offered which was denied and then agreed to the low price that was being offered. Now he wants to deduct what I owe him in the property management fees from the past few years... I am realizing that I did not agree to selling at this price because it is such a loss so I am seeking professional advice regarding my rights as a co-owner.
As a co -owner you have a shared interest in the property. You can not be forced to sell if you do not agree with the sale price and unless he forged your signature or had legal authority to sign and sell it he could not just do so on his own without your cooperation. If he did so and to never agreed you could have a basis to object to and dispute what he claims you owe if he sold for less than what was owed.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!