Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I ended tenancy on 7/8/17 at a house I rented from a private

Customer Question

Hello. I ended tenancy on 7/8/17 at a house I rented from a private party for 5 years. Today I received the itemization of the security deposit deductions and I disagree with itemization. During my 5 years of tenancy the homeowners only performed maintenance on the property once. We believe we are being over charged. Could you help?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Thank you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Have you notified the landlord in writing of the specific items you are disputing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not yet.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Your first step is to give written notice that you are disputing the charge.

Give them ten days to return the amount you believe you are due.

If they do not respond appropriately then your recourse is to sue in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Did you have further questions? I am happy to continue if you do.

Otherwise, have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!