Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I have a question about life estate and selling the

Customer Question

i have a question about life estate and selling the property
JA: Have you talked to a real estate attorney about this?
Customer: no
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: cranston rhode island
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: it is a long story behind the selling of the house. i just want to know if it is legal to sell tbe house if my dad has a life estare in the propergy
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

You can sell it, but you likely won't get much for it since father is the only one who has the right to use and occupy the property until his death. Depending on his age, he could live another year or 20, so most buyers wouldn't want a property that they have no idea when they would be able to take possession.

.

If you get it when he passes, then you are the "remainderman" and your interest will only fully vest once he passes or if he deeds his life estate over to you..

.

So yes, it is legal, but it might not be feasible.

.

.

thanks