How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5312
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Leased substandard, unsafe living conditions/environment.

Customer Question

Leased substandard, unsafe living conditions/environment. Maintenance and custodial services were routinely denied.
No cameras. No alarms. Blocked emergency egress (gate), routinely by vehicles. Large accumulations of trash in the gutter, on the curb and the property and mitigating emergency egress (gate). Standing and pooling water for days, until I request removal. Leaking light fixtures in the stairwells. No door lock at roof top access. A homeless person living in said stairwell/access. No safety. Unsecure locks and vulnerable doors. If my front door was compromised, my only option was a 15ft drop to concrete. No rope/safely ladders, etc. Unhealthy individuals around me, gossiping, talking about me. Making false reports against me. The property owner was aware of all of it. I was told in November, "know all about it." If it's known, then there was no need for me to address anything nor make requests.
The building was opened , knowingly, with the intention of repairs during the current remodel. Numerous Work Orders for cabinetry latches, hinges, door alignment, painted shut, and an inoperable pocket door. As well, as reversed water taps, among other fixes. I was told that repeatedly, "We're fixing it during the remodel", which is underway. So were the rest of the residents. I submitted a formal complaint in January, but to no resolve. I've made numerous requests for a refund. I filed with US Dept of Education OCR and the result was repairs/fixes to inperable cameras and alarms and replacement of leaking water fixtures in stairwells, in April. My landlord was USC. I received responses, "It's the city. It's the parking authority. It's not my job". I rented from 08-12-16 to 05-16-17. I did not have the opportunity to protest rent (it was taken from my student account).
JA: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?
Customer: written lease fixed 9 months and University contract for services
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: 959 W Adams Blvd LA 90007
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: 40 unit bld, but others won't join out of fear
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney who is admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm very sorry to hear about this situation. This appears to me to be a violation of the implied covenant of quiet enjoyment and The implied Covenant of habitability. The implied Covenant of quiet enjoyment just says that the landlord warrants that they are going to let you know peacefully on the premises. On the other hand, the implied Covenant of habitability means that the place is going to be fit for human habitation. This means that the landlord is going to take the steps necessary to make sure the place is habitable. If they have not done that then this is likely going to be a breach of contract A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi. thank you. I've paid the $10.00, but I'm not sure where/how to access the form.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

From what I understand, they send you the form via email in 1-2 business days.