Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

Just found out that our renter has an irs lien. How will

Customer Question

Just found out that our renter has an irs lien. How will this lien affect the landlord? JA: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term? Customer: It is a written agreement and it is a month to month term. JA: Where is the property located? Customer: ************, houston JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: payments stopped end of May.

Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

No, it will not in any way impact the landlord. The lien does not transfer to the landlord from the tenant.

Of course if the tenant does not pay, he can be evicted.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. It does not cost anything extra to rate. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the landlord had a thirty year mortgage on the house and the mortgage was paid off may 2017.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

My answer stands as is - the landlord is simply in now way liable for the tenant's IRS lien, and that lien should not transfer to the landlord or the landlord's property (mortgage or no mortgage).

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

yes, please call via my land phone no. ************

Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your call request. The site allows the expert to opt out of the call request, and I must respectfully ***** ***** not worry - other experts receive the request as well, and the first available expert calls. They will also have your question and my replies to build upon, so nothing will be lost. I see that another expert did pick up the call but your payment fell through - you may wish to contact JustAnswer's customer service to work this out so the phone call can be made.