Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My daughter just bought a new house and moved in a few weeks

Customer Question
ago. Inspections were made...
My daughter just bought a new house and moved in a few weeks ago. Inspections were made with no problems found. During the past few weeks we have had allot of rain and now discovered the basement leaks. It appears there is potentially a foundation problem. We are trying to get estimates now to fix this problem. They did have a warranty for 1 year but apparently this is not covered under the warranty. I believe the previous homeowners new about this problem and did not disclose it. I also think the inspector may have been negligent. The water damage may have been easy to cover up since the house is just over 3 years old. My question. What recourse do we have to recover damages?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Kansas
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/27/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Richard, Lawyer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. She does have recourse; she should pursue the buyer rather than the inspector because the inspector's going to have limited his damages under the agreement she likely signed. The seller is obligated to disclose anything the seller knows or should have known that a reasonable buyer would consider material in making the decision whether or not to buy the property. What you describe clearly would qualify as a material matter that should have been disclosed and pretty clearly something the seller knew or should have known. What your daughter should do is raise the stakes on her seller. She should send the seller a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the situation and lack of disclosure and demand the seller compensate her to remediate the problem within a short specified period of time. She wants to inform her seller that if he does not timely comply with her demand, she will have no choice but to file a suit for her damages. BUT, she wants to be sure to specifically mention that if forced to file this suit, she will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as fraud and deceptive trade practice causes of action, which will entitle her not only to her actual damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times her actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, she should file her suit. Even if she has to file the suit, that's likely all she will need do. In my experience, the seller will settle this without a hearing rather than risk punitive damages and the fraud and/or deceptive trade practice judgments being on the record.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Lawyer