P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
11181181

My sister gave me prints and artwork, she says she was

Customer Question

My sister gave me prints and artwork, she says she was lending them to me and she wants them all back now. I have had them in my home for 7 years. Is what she is doing legal?
JA: Have you talked to a real estate attorney about this?
Customer: Real estate attorney? It is about pictures.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: On my walls where they have been for 7 years
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. What do you mean "is what she doing legal"? Are you asking if it is legal for her to request the items back?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
after she gave them to me 7 years ago, she now says that she only lent them to me and wants them all back. Is that legal to now say she only lent them to me?

She can say what she likes. It is not a violation of any law for her to claim she lent them to you.

But at the end of the day, the issue will be "was this a gift, or did she lend them to you"

If it was a gift? Then they (the prints and artwork) belong to you.

If she loaned them to you? She can demand them back...and if you refuse she could go to court and if she can prove this was a loan, they court can order they be returned.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.