How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5159
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in a City that amended its Charter to require

Customer Question

I live in a City that amended its Charter to require unlawfully overcharged rent to be refunded. However, my landlord refuses to comply with it. Please provide some guidance?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Mountain View, CA
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: not with the courts, but a demand letter was delivered to the landlord.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The new rules are written in the Conmmunity Stabilization and Fair Rent Act.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed CA attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. From what I understand those in Mountain View are trying their best to stand against this measure because they feel that is unlawful. However, because it is law all the landlord still must comply with it. You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter stating that Measure V must be complied with. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A demand letter was issued in May 2017. His answer at the time was the City Attorney said he didn't have to refund the money. But a statement made on July 17 by the City Attorney acknowledges that the enforcement of the CSFRA began on December 23rd, 2016. So, I wish to find an attorney that will move forward. Since I have 2 attorneys publishing justification for my rent refunds at this time. Ironically, these 2 have a history of arguing opposite opinions. The CSFRA requires the court provide triple refund on top of your legal costs under the CSFRA. My overpayment itself is $3,840 alone, NOT TRIPLED.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

I understand. Did you have any specific questions for me regarding this?