How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attyadvisor Your Own Question
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7225
Experience:  29 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Attyadvisor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have unpaid electric and water/sewer debt from 1990's. I

Customer Question

I have unpaid electric and water/sewer debt from 1990's. I have not lived in MD for more than 10 yrs and no debt collector has notified me of the default. The one electric debt incurred when my rowhome burned down and I continued to be charged for services and eventually they were added to the electric bill I had with another property in Baltimore. I had a property that was vacant and I asked that the water and electric be turned off but prior to the utility responding
JA: What are the debts in question? What collection efforts have been made?
Customer: None but I recently applied for a house rental and they notified me that they would not issue approval until my utility bills were satisfied. The utility sent me a bill for water usage of approx $11,000.00. Vandals had broken into the property and left the water running. I tried to dispute the electric bill to no avail. Now I'm reading that the debt collection laws for utility debt is not the same as for consumer debt...utility debts being collected decades subsequent. I thought I had closed this chapter in my life but this rental application has given me pause. Is the property management company just looking to collect on identifying me to any all jurisdictions that might be interested.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet. I want to be proactive. I've had my wife separate funds from the sale of her house to an account bearing her name only. I'm concerned for the likely accummulation of fines and fees in addition to the final actual bill.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I could discuss the stress I was under at the time. I'd rather not try building sympathy with a sob story but I do have one.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 2 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 2 months ago.

Yes, the laws on these bills differ from other consumer protection laws. You have my sympathy and empathy as the situation is outrageous. The best way to handle these matters is with the assistance of a local Attorney as well as filing consumer protection complaints against the utility company.

Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 2 months ago.

Which utility companies and bills are in dispute?

Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 2 months ago.

"Maryland Public Service Commission
Office of External Relations
William D. Schaefer Tower
6 St. Paul Street, 12th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21202
Voice(###) ###-####or(###) ###-####br />Fax:(###) ###-####quot;

Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 2 months ago.
Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out. Thank you for your consideration. Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 2 months ago.

Would you like a link for local Attorneys that provide FREE consultations in your area that can assist in clearing up this matter?