Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

Gossip around the complex is the owners of the apartment

Customer Question

Gossip around the complex is the owners of the apartment complex I live in in Mesquite is going to be remodeled. The rent I know pay is $440 per month (447 square feet). The gossip is they will remodel and increase the rent to $650. I assume my lease will be in force until it expires. What should we expect from the owners as far as notification. Most of the tenants are fixed income so advance notification is very important. Can you share what we should expect.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Texas Mesquite 75150
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No all is gossip.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm sure I have left out points but all I can think of.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If you have a written lease then the landlord can not unilaterally increase the rent, or otherwise modify the terms of the tenancy, until the lease expires.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Did you have further questions? I am happy to continue if you do.

Otherwise, have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!