Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I purchased a home in 2014 with a 203k loan to rehab the

Customer Question

I purchased a home in 2014 with a 203k loan to rehab the home. The contractor never finished the job and I found out recent that my roof is not new and the leak is causing major damage to my upstairs. Initially, he said he would fix it then he threaten me with bankruptcy. what can I do? And, yes he has been paid. I make a decent income but do not have funds to hire an attorney.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I report him to the Attorney General but they only send him correspondence.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My home is being damage every time it rain
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. IThis appears to be a classic breach of contract. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. In your case, why not finishing the job, you may be entitled to damages such as the cost to finish the job, including any attorneys fees, or any cost to bring a lawsuit against him. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?