Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My mother gift deeded her house to me, she passed away and

Customer Question

My mother gift deeded her house to me , she passed away and while I was flying over things where removed , there's no will
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Yes I went and got copies from the county clerk office
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have video of the stuff being taken away
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Keys where taken and the safety deposit box was raided
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. Who entered the home and removed and took these items?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My brother and his wife

Thank you for the reply. Even though there was no will, no heir or any party should have simply removed things from the home. Moreover, it would need to be know if the house or the house and its contents, were gifted to you, to established if you not owned the home but everything inside of it. Even though there was no will, does not mean that they could just take items from inside, as her property and assets would need to be distributed per Texas law. If they did these things, you would now have to go after them and sue for their return or the value of the items taken which they did not have a right to. Now, if your mother passed without a spouse, but is survived by each of the children born to her during life all of the property is divided equally between the children. As such, they would have some right and interest but can not just do what they did.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!