How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5436
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father owns a home that he wants to rent. I will be

Customer Question

My father owns a home that he wants to rent. I will be signing leases, repairs, etc. Does he even need to sign the lease or can I do it? DO I need to have a letter stating that I have permission to sign on his behalf?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not yet
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
on the lease next to where "landlord" is printed, is it appropriate to have it instead say "landlord/agent"?
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. Ideally, you want your father to sign the lease, since he is the owner and renting it out. If you want to help him down the road, with repairs or any other issues, you can do that but you want to make sure the lease is legally binding. If you do want to sign for him, you need to make sure you have POA to do so and/or any other documents which allow you to act on his behalf as his agent. You do want legal documents allowing you to sign for him but also keep in mind that it would and could subject you to be involved in any potential lawsuit, involving the rental property.

Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!