Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I leased a property whereby the landlord's gave me verbal

Customer Question
permission to have roommates. He...
I leased a property whereby the landlord's gave me verbal permission to have roommates. He also told me that the home actually belonged to him and that he would consider leading to own as long as I made my own repairs..which I did. I made thousands of dollars to home in repairs. Now that the house is gorgeous and all repairs are finished, the landlord (the mother) has decided to evict me saying I sublet without her permission. She is saying I have 10 days to vacate and that she is turning off the utilities within 24 hours. She is going to my neighbors, city officials and roommates spreading vicious lies about me to boot. Do I have any rights?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Alabama
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I think that's most of it
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Sorry for spellcheck issue. Above should read landlords son...and leasing to own
7/24/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Legally she can't turn off the utilities as that would be an illegal eviction and would give you grounds to sue her.

.

She also can't force you to vacate with a 10 day notice of lease violation if you aren't violating the lease.. If she wants to try, she will have to file a formal eviction action in court and then you would be able to appear and present your story to the judge. That would take about 3 weeks or so after the 10 day notice expires.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer