Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I own property in a municipal area. The water and sewer were

Customer Question
I own property in a...
I own property in a municipal area. The water and sewer were disconnected in 2002. However, they did continue keep a running tab in their computer system and to bill me so I paid those bills until 2012 at which time I stopped paying them. They attempted to take me to court for the "delinquent" water bills. I arranged for an on-site inspection to verify that I did not have any connection to the municipal water lines. Upon verification of the lack of connection, the attempt to take me to court for those delinquent charges. However, they continued to keep a running tab and in 2012, they attempted to again collect for said "delinquent charges". Again an on-site inspection was performed, same result. I continued to receive bills in the mail until 2014. The bills stopped coming in the mail until July 2016. At that time, I received a bill showing an outstanding charge over $5000 for unpaid water, sewer, storm water, and trash services. I did nothing and received no further bills until March 2017 at which time a received a Certified Letter demanding payment of delinquent storm water charges of $800+. I went to the Cerk-treasurer but she denied not sending me billing statements. The lien was filed. I wrote a letter to the Auditor documenting that the Certified Letter contained an inaccurate account number acknowledged by an email from the Clerk Treasurer, along with a copy of the minutes from the Town Board meeting documenting the agreement to no longer send me utility bills. The house is vacant. I have no sewer, water or garbage services. Can the Town still demand the unpaid storm water charges assessed to that property parcel. Is it legal to continue to track the water and sewer charges without sending me a bill and then at a later time, demand payment.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: I don't see a down arrow at the top right corner of the box.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Indiana
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The sewer lien was filed and then, because of my pro-active actions with the Town Board and the County Auditor, the lien was released yet still noting an unpaid dollar amount.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have tried to dissect this issue. Water and Sewer disconnected 12/202. The house is vacant. No need for garbage or trash services. The Town has just continued to bill me for all services regardless of the knowledge and inspections to verify that there is no use. The Town ordinance specifically states "use" of these services. Their focus now is on storm water charges. The house is in a older neighborhood and when the sewer line was disconnected, the eaves were draining into the sewer line. To update these services, the eaves must be connected to the storm water system out in the street, not the sewer lines located in the rear alley. The Town is trying to file a lien designated as a "sewer lien" in their effort to collect uncollected storm water charges.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/23/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Irwin Law, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer

Their focus now is on storm water charges. (not sewer fees)

In my opinion. That should be all they can collect from you, dating back to when storm water charges began to be built along with the water service in your city. To my recollection, those charges haven't been collected with water service for that many years, and they should not have cost that much per month. The question of whether or not the town can hold off billing for a long period of time and then try to collect it all at one time is a detailed legal question, which would take extensive time to research statutes in cases. The total accumulation of charges is $800, you might approach the city attorney to let you pay it in monthly payments. Or possibly, just let it go until the property is sold, and collected it then.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer