Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Replacing an existing fence around my property in Wilkes

Customer Question

Replacing an existing fence around my property in Wilkes Barre, PA. My neighbors were ok with my contractor coming on their property to take down the old fence and put up a new one. That was three weeks ago now the contractor is coming this week to do the job and my feeling is that the neighbors wont let them on his property because we have not been getting along. can the contractors go on his property to install my fence?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 3 months ago.

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Did you get a permit to build the fence? Here is the link:

http://wilkes-barre.pa.us/forms/2013fencepermit.pdf

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
we are all set with that.

Did you mention to the department that you are building a fence on the property line and need access to the neighbor's property?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I didn't but I did ask the neighbor a few weeks ago when they came out to give an estimate and they weren't happy but they said okay.
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 2 months ago.

Are you aware of any set back ordinance, meaning that you cannot have the fence directly on the property line? My concern is that if you walk on your neighbor's fence, they may call the Police or rush to court to stop its construction.