Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We are four apartments on the top floor of an apartment

Customer Question
We are four apartments...

We are four apartments on the top floor of an apartment complex in Washington, DC. Our ceiling has been leaking due to the landlord providing faulty roof repair services. Do we have a strong case?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Washington, dc

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Only to the landlord and management company

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There has been damages to furniture and in my specific instance, water comes through the electrical lighting in the kitchen when it rains the water sits on the roof

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/20/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Yes, if the landlord's negligence is causing you property damages, then he is liable for those damages and any costs to make repairs to the property to stop any further damage.

.

If he won't take responsibility to make repairs, one or more of the tenants can file suit against him for breach of contract for their damages as well as asking for injunctive action to force him to make repairs.

.

You just need to document all your damages and get estimates of the cost of repairs or the value of items that were damaged.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer