Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

We live in a community, about 200 apartments, and we have a

Customer Question
beautiful lawn with lovely patios,,,, JA...
We live in a community, about 200 apartments, and we have a beautiful lawn with lovely patios,,,,
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: the new manager has decided that we shoudl clear all belongings off our patios by Monday, they will be doing projects, like painiting and hoising down the building,., this is BS
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no we recvd notice Thursday night to clear everything off and they :dont need to make appointments" so everyone must suffer through 3 WEEKS of having our flowers shelves chairs and table indoors nooone has room for that,, this is a family community -- does the PM have the right to "spruce up the plac" at teh expnes of our quality of lifem and the patios we pay reant for?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that everyone I speak with will sign a petition we are all really really upset!
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/15/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I live in an apartment too and sometimes they will require that we move certain things around so that way they can conduct some necessary repairs or do maintenance or somehow otherwise Spruce of the building. In your case, if it's going to take them 3 weeks of you having to move all of your belongings indoors then that could technically be what's called a violation of the implied Covenant of quiet enjoyment. The implied Covenant of quiet enjoyment simply means that the landlord is not going to do anything to interfere with your right to have quiet enjoyment with your premises. Thus, if they are requiring you to move things indoors that normally are supposed to stay Outdoors such as plants, and orders strictly to just spruce up the property for their own benefit, then this may be something that you may be able to bring to court for anything that happens to your plans or for the general harm that comes to you as a result.

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter Explaining that they either need to spread out the amount of time that they are doing these things or somehow provide some sort of shelter for your plans patio furniture other items so that way they don't get broken being inside your house and so the Covenant of quiet enjoyment is also not breached.. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer