Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

If my daughterinlaw put a carport on my property can she

Customer Question

If my daughterinlaw put a carport on my property can she just legally sell it because she bought it
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept

.

.

Yes, the carport would be considered her personal property, just like a shed that you might buy and put on the property is your personal property..

.

Unless she gifted it to you with no intention of retaining ownership, it remains her personal property and she can do what she wants with it.

.

However if it is on your property, you can give her a written notice giving her a reasonable amount of time to remove it from your land, maybe 10 days, or you will consider it abandoned and dispose of it.. And you don't have to allow any strangers on your land to come look at it if she is trying to sell it either.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have no written note but she told me that look mom I even got you a garage she was mad at me because I did not sign the property over to her and my son so they moved out
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 days ago.

Ok, then you could claim that it was a gift and refuse to allow anyone on the property to try and take it and call the police or sheriff if they did. Just because she bought it doesn't mean she owns it if she gifted it to you.. When someone gives a gift, they obviously bought the item before giving it away to the recipient..

.

She would have to file suit in court against you and convince a judge that it wasn't a gift if you refused to let her take it or sell it..

.

.

thanks