Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced lawyer
11313492

I'm in VA, I have not signed an agreement with the realtor

Customer Question

Hi I'm in VA, I have not signed an agreement with the realtor agent that showed me a house that I am interested in. She neither discussed with me the price I'd like to offer nor the listing price on my current home. Last night she forwarded me both selling and buying contracts where she has taken it upon herself to plug in numbers of her choosing. She's never consulted with me on anything. I am not happy with her on another level. Can I work with another agent without owing her any commission?'
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: She also suggested we paid for a home inspection before putting in an offer bc of the age of the home. I thought it was a great idea before we move forward further. She went back to her boss and came back to me and said we'd deal with it after we submit an offer.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: I have not signed anything. She has presented me with her draft of an offer on the new home and a listing of my current house. She's made all the decisions without my consult.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is it. how much will this consult cost me?
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This agent showed me the house along with 2 other homes in the past month. She sends me a listing of potential homes everyday. Again, I have not signed a contract to work solely with her. Given the facts, is there an implied contractual relationship? Can I work with another real estate agent on the purchase of the property she showed me. Also, I never promised her that I would list my current home with her. What am I liable for in the state of VA, if anything.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

If there is no signed agreement, there is no binding commitment. You are free to work with any broker you want.