Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
68197583

Landlord filed an eviction against me for nonpayment of

Customer Question

Landlord filed an eviction against me for nonpayment of rent. I filed an answer describing the numerous inaccuracies in the eviction complaint, including the residential address itself, and that I did not agree to the amount they claimed I owed. I also filed a motion to determine the amount of rent to be deposited into the court registry.The Landlord's attorney then filed an amended complaint correcting some of the discrepancies but I was never served or mailed a copy of it. I did not know it was filed. Today, the landlord's attorney filed a motion for default claiming that I agreed to nonpayment of rent in my answer (which I did not) and that I did not respond to the amended complaint, of which I was never served or mailed a copy of.How can I respond to the court to inform them of my disagreement with the motion for default? Do I file an answer again? Do I have to do it in a specific way? I have also not received a court date or a response regarding the original motion to determine amount to be deposited into court registry, and I filed that over a week ago. I have received nothing in the mail or anything of that nature.Please help me and thank you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
An answer here is fine as well, whichever can be fastest.
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 3 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you.

You will need to file a motion to ask the Judge for the landlord to be compelled to respond. You can also file a motion to vacate the default. Which county is this occurring in?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Pinellas County, FL
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I already filed a motion to determine amount to go into court registry, which hasn't been addressed, can I file a secondary motion and not void out the first?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also the plaintiff filed a motion for default, the court has not yet granted a motion for default.

Would you link me to provide a link for local Attorneys that provide FREE consultations in that area. One moment for a sample motion to vacate/remove the default judgment.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
As stated previously, the court has not yet granted the default judgement, the plaintiff filed a motion for it. I need to know how to respond to the motion for default and inform the court that it is inaccurate and that I was not served a copy of the amended complaint in order to respond.

You contest the default and state exactly what you stated to me. You will file a motion to deny the mption for a default judgment. Which county?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Pinellas County can you send me a sample of the motion to deny the motion for a default judgement?

You can also file a motion to dismiss on the failure to file an answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You've given me a lot of different options, but based on the facts, what do you think I should do?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am the defendant. I answered plaintiff's original eviction complaint, filed a timely answer with the court, even in the motion for default it states that I did respond timely. The amended complaint was never served to me, or mailed to me, therefor I did not respond to it. What exactly do I file letting the judge/court know that I was not served a copy of the amended complaint and that I also did not agree to nonpayment of the rent?

Well obviously the other side is filing motions with a disregard for the actual facts hoping the Judge will sign the order. I would contact an Attorney. There are numerous Attorneys that provide FREE consultations and going this alone is a disadvantage.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I cannot afford an attorney. Can you give me a sample document of something I can file?

Yes, it will be my pleasure. There are also Pro Bono and Legal Aid Attorneys that can assist you. Please give me a few moments to put together information for you. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you

The site has a glitch that kicks me out of the question when you respond. Please give me a few minutes to put this together for you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you provide a direct link to a sample document?

Motion in opposition.

Do you have any additional questions for me?