Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My association informed me that I had to supply the company

Customer Question

My association informed me that I had to supply the company that held my mortgage. That I had to supply them with the loan number and if I didn't they would charge me a 300 to $400.00 fee to get it. I live in Michigan is this a law and can they send out this request with a threat of charging us.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no they just sent out a letter that stated we had to give them this info.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. What "association" are you referring to? Is this your home owners association?

If so, do the bylaws of the HOA provide that the members must divulge this information?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it is the president of the condo assoc. that said they need this info for the home owners association, so that they bank I have my loan with can also decide if the rules can be changed.
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 3 months ago.

can you send a copy of the letter

I can understand the name but do not know why they need the account number?