Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

I purchased a house before we were married. I lived in it 4

Customer Question

I purchased a house before we were married. I lived in it 4 years before marriage. I had a $100,000 loan and paid $100,00 down. We now owe $49700 on my original loan and $79,700 home equity and $50,800 home equity. We are divorcing my husband want equity in house. House appraised for $400,000. I am keeping house.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Papers have been filed for divorce by husband
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Child support/custody
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Your husband may have a claim to a portion of the increased equity due to the fact that you made payments during the marriage. He won't get half the total equity unless you added his name to the deed. The equity you had at the time of the marriage is your separate property. Houses appreciate in value, but you get the bulk of the benefit of that because you owned the house first.

Custody typically goes to the parent who acted as the primary caregiver during the marriage. Whoever gets custody will also get child support. This site has a calculator that will help you estimate how much that might be.

http://csc.georgiacourts.gov/

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.