Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I bought a house and paid extra to have the floor plan

Customer Question

I bought a house and paid extra to have the floor plan changed, I measured the room that was to have 2 extra feet and its short, most of the room are not the size on the floor plan, now they want to move a door and wall to make the room the right size but that will make the other room even shorter. They said that because the out side of the house is the right size that's the only way to solve this. nothing has gone right with this deal from the foundation 16 feet from where it should have been to the room size. Anything I can do
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Missouri
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 13 days ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

This appears to be a classic breach of contract. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. This means that you should be able to request damages from the contractor that built the house for the difference in cost to remedy the situation.

There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?