Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I bought a house and a half acre of land on an owner finance

Customer Question

I bought a house and a half acre of land on an owner finance deal. I have a contract on this deal and have been paying a mortgage for 3 years. I have now been told by the owner that he can no longer sell me this property. Come to find out the owner created an illegal subdivision and it is not being approved by the city in which we live. For the last 3 years I have made improvements to the house, paid property tax and home owners insurance. I am now being told that I can continue to live here however as a renter not a buyer. When I asked about being refunded what I have paid in for the last 3 years the owner states he will not be paying any kind of refund. I have invested and am still paying $3600 for new windows, which he told be to take with me if I leave. $700.00 in property tax and homeowners insurance which I would not have had if I was just a renter and not a buyer. I'm trying to find out what my options are. It's just a big mess and I need help. This is the first time I have purchased a home, I'm 58 years old and I do have a signed contract.
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine. Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Tyler, Texas
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: I have filed the Deed of Trust today and homestead
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have lived in this house since 2004 as a renter and then a buyer since Nov of 2014. The payment were raised to accommodate the sale, I have never been late on a payment and I am current on taxes and insurance
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 3 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.