Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

We want to add my name to the deed on my mother's condo. She

Customer Question

We want to add my name to the deed on my mother's condo. She is not a US citizen and lives abroad. There is a US notary at the embassy, so she can get it notirized. What type of grant deed and what additional documents do we need? We want to avoid reavaluation for taxes, and keep both of us un the deed.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Can you tell me what state the property is in and where mother is currently?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the property is in California, and she is in Moscow, Russia.

Ok, the all you would need to do is have a new deed drafted by a local CA attorney or closing company listing her as the Grantor and then her and you as the Grantees. Then ship it over to her so she can sign it in front of a notary at the Embassy. She ships it back to you and then you record it at the local land records office to complete the tranfer.

.

And a parent to child transfer does not trigger a reassessment for property tax purposes under CA law.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much