How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3914
Experience:  30 years of experience.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Me and my girlfriend moved into a place in may together. I

Customer Question

Me and my girlfriend moved into a place in may together. I filled the application out myself. My name as the main person living there in the state of VT. I feel that used me to get closer to Burlington VT as takes my car and smokes all in it. She mentally tactics me everyday lately. How do I get her out of the apartment that she has paid zero rent to live here.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 8 days ago.


Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Unfortunately the law treats your girlfriend as if she is your tenant. So you stand in the shoes of a landlord. Unless she leaves voluntarily you have to go through the eviction process as if she were your tenant.

This means that you have to provide her written Notice to vacate the apartment. If she still refuses to do so you must file a Summons and Complaint with the magisterial court to evict her.

The law does not allow you to force her out. But if she leaves voluntarily after you give her the written Notice you can change the locks.

Here are some resources for you that explain the process:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,


Related Real Estate Law Questions