Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I have a starter house, but Wells Fargo holds the mortgage

Customer Question

I have a starter house, but Wells Fargo holds the mortgage on the house. My son was renting the house, but presently he is unemployed. He is residing in the house with his girlfriend. The insurance company gave my son Renter's insurance. I do not have Home Owner's insurance on the house. My question is: If someone gets hurt on my property, am I held liable even though I am not living on this property, and my son is living there for free? My son's girlfriend has her son and his pregnant girlfriend living in the house without my consent. Can you please give me advice on what I need to do in order to protect myself legally?
JA: The Real Estate Lawyer's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost. Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am living in Macon, Georgia.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 3 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. If If someone gets hurt on the property while you are son is occupying it then chances are he is going to be liable then his renters insurance is going to take over. However, because you own the property, it is entirely possible that the injured party could bring a lawsuit against you. Because you don't have homeowners insurance, it is entirely possible as well that that party will hold you personally liable. Please keep in mind though that this depends on the cause of the injury. For example if your son leaves out a skateboard and the injured party trips on it then your son is going to be liable and you're not going to be liable because that's not a condition that occurred on your land that caused the injury. However, if there is a ditch in the ground in front of the building then if someone trips and falls on it then it is possible that you would be held liable.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?