How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5224
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a starter house, but Wells Fargo holds the mortgage

Customer Question

I have a starter house, but Wells Fargo holds the mortgage on the house. My son was renting the house, but presently he is unemployed. He is residing in the house with his girlfriend. The insurance company gave my son Renter's insurance. I do not have Home Owner's insurance on the house. My question is: If someone gets hurt on my property, am I held liable even though I am not living on this property, and my son is living there for free? My son's girlfriend has her son and his pregnant girlfriend living in the house without my consent. Can you please give me advice on what I need to do in order to protect myself legally?
JA: The Real Estate Lawyer's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost. Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am living in Macon, Georgia.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 3 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. If If someone gets hurt on the property while you are son is occupying it then chances are he is going to be liable then his renters insurance is going to take over. However, because you own the property, it is entirely possible that the injured party could bring a lawsuit against you. Because you don't have homeowners insurance, it is entirely possible as well that that party will hold you personally liable. Please keep in mind though that this depends on the cause of the injury. For example if your son leaves out a skateboard and the injured party trips on it then your son is going to be liable and you're not going to be liable because that's not a condition that occurred on your land that caused the injury. However, if there is a ditch in the ground in front of the building then if someone trips and falls on it then it is possible that you would be held liable.

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 3 months ago.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?