Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Purchased a condo the association is trying to charge fees

Customer Question
from prior owner to me...
purchased a condo the association is trying to charge fees from prior owner to me for late fees and fines not paid by prior owner. There was no discovery on this from the title company and no public filings.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/12/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Did you get clear title? Did you have title insurance?
there was no title insurance.
Why didn't they collect from seller at closing?
Person to person sale. Wasn't disclosed. It's not a public record and association has not made a case for these charges . Is for penalties like noise and construction not assessments these are all paid.
They should pursue seller.
If they refuse and pursue you then you may pursue seller.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.
Infolawyer, Lawyer