Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I am renting an apartment with the move in date being the

Customer Question

I am renting an apartment with the move in date being the 14th of this month. I was just told today that I will not be able to start moving my things in until after 2pm. If Ive already paid for a full day, can my being able to movein after 2 as stated by management be legal?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: I live in and reside in Columbia, s.c.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: I have not signed a lease. I have been given a welcome letter that stated the move in date, move outdate, leasee for a year. I did not have to pay an acceptance fee, or what I thought would have been a deposit. Nowhere does it say a move in time.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I cant think of anything at this time. Id like to know if I can insist on the following day for move in since it wont be ready for more than 1/2 day.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 12 days ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good evening. Did you already pay for the first months rent? Why are they not allowing you to move in until 2pm?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The first month was prorated which I have paid in full and have the receipt for. The note that I received said they only do move ins at it after 2pm. They have been working on the apartment since the previous tenants left.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I do not want to pay more than I have to here. I need an answer to my question to you.

Yes, not a problem and please allow me a moment

Thank you for the reply. If they advised you PRIOR to paying the pro rate rent, that you could not move in until after 2pm, you would have been placed on notice and agreed to this. Now, if they told you this after the fact, that would need to provide you with the FULL day to move in, since the lease is starting and they need to turn over possession, under the agreement. If not, they should charge you for half of a day, since you will not have access prior to 2pm.