Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My question is regarding tenant rights and security deposit.

HI my question is...

HI my question is regarding tenant rights and security deposit. I recently signed a lease and moved in to a new apt. The lease states $150 for sec deposit, which was paid. 2 days later the office called saying that I now need to pay 1 full months deposit due to credit. Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes I have the full signed lease and everything already

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No maam

7/10/2017
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Is there anything on the lease which you signed or any other documents, that advised of this? Did they not run your credit prior to accepting your lease?

ok great Hello
no this is fine

Certainly.

Is there anything on the lease which you signed or any other documents, that advised of this? Did they not run your credit prior to accepting your lease?

The originally ran my father as a gaurentor, but turned out i didn't need him, so i assume they reran my credit over the weekend. However, we already had the lease agreement signed and in place, and it clearly states the agreed upon $150 deposit, which i paid.
i can send the agreement if you like?

Thank you. The lease and any other documents which you signed, are going to control. By that, I mean if you never signed anything, whereby you agreed to pay more, depending on your credit, you would not have to do so. If the agreement was for a security deposit of $150 and that was paid and accepted, they can not come back now and try and demand a full months, unless you agreed to this, if there were issues. They have to perform their due diligence ahead of time and if they did not, it would be their fault at this time.

awesome thank you!

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer