Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Our neighbors have an easement to our driveway to access

their back yard. Now they...
Our neighbors have an easement to our driveway to access their back yard. Now they want to build a garage back there. Do we have any rights when it comes to all the heavy equipment using our driveway? What about all their company using our private driveway. It is our only means to enter our property. They already have another driveway and a garage at the front of their house.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nebraska
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: There is a legal permanent easement that was with the property when we bought it that was done by others before us.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
7/10/2017
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Do they have another avenue to reach their backyard?

No not with a vehicle. just by foot.
We just want to make sure we have complete legal control of our driveway and they just are allowed to use it for entering and exiting their garage.

Thank you; a few minutes please.

Thank you for your patience as I was reviewing case law and Nebraska does not have much case law as to private easements and unfortunately none of the cases reviewed dealt with overuse.

Based on common law if the dominant estate (party entitled to use of the easement) is abusing/overusing the easement, the servient estate owner may petition the court, requesting them to either:

1. revise the easement to include only ingress/egress, and for certain people (actual property owners, not guests)

2. reimburse for damage due to excessive use (construction equipment)

3. order an injunction setting forth daily fines for continued violation of overuse.

The wording of the easement determines the rights of the parties; if it is blanket easement then #1 would be done to preclude continued usage.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care

legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator