Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Real estate law: Statute limitation on easement in

Real estate law:...

Real estate law: Statute limitation on easement in California: Previous owner granted Easement to next door neighbor In 1985. I bought this lot in 1999. Is there statute limitation which and the easement at sometime; Or I can only negotiate to buy back the easement.?

Lawyer's Assistant: What confuses you?

As stated: is there Time limit?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Easement is filed at City

7/9/2017
Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is Alex.

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Generally, unless the recorded easement specify that it was given for a specific time, the easement would remain in effect and valid indefinitely and there is no Statute of Limitation that would apply to an easement that was properly executed and recorded.

I wish you the best of luck!

That is an easement for driveway only, 8 ft-wide on the side of my house. If I must live with it, then can I expand the second floor of my house above that easement?
Because the ownership is still mine

Thank you for your follow up.

I cannot comment on your specific case, but generally, it would depend on the zoning and on whether the second floor expansion would encumber any of the easement's intended use.

I wish you the best of luck!

Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Thank you for your input. I will rate it now. Good night.
Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law