Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have an investment property in an HOA. The HOA has raised…

Customer Question
I have an investment...

I have an investment property in an HOA. The HOA has raised the HOA dues twice in 18 months. My dues were $178/mo they went up to $228 now the latest meeting resulted in an increase to $400month. This meeting was attended by 5 people. The board of 3 (a married couple is VP and Treasurer, and the HOA president plus two others. It was a "majority vote" to raise dues. The minutes of the meeting say dues went up to $350 an email from the HOA President informed the two of us that are not "resident owned" that dues were now $400. Can they raise dues with only 4 legal votes. The married couple should only have one vote not two!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Washington Spokane County

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

None not now or the previous increase.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We do not get any statements, monthly or otherwise from this hoa they purchase boat dock space from the units next door for $500 and re-rent them to "owner occupied" units for $100

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The association has neglected the maintenance on the units and now find themselves needing new siding, roofing and driveway. All due to a total lack of maintenance. I own an almost identical unit to this one in the HOA next door and they did performed maintenance on the drive, just replace the siding and did had new roofing done a couple of years ago. This association is trying to secure a $100,000 load which has not been voted on by all owners.
6/29/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 year ago
Michael Bradley

the answer to your question will be in the HOA bylaws. That will tell you if the vote was valid.

You certainly have a right to ask for an accounting as to the fees and where they are being paid.

The condition of the common areas is an area of concern as well.

You have not said how many are in the HOA.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
12
Real Estate Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 year ago

it is saying payment failure