Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I had a foreclosed property and I am now home less. The new…

I had a foreclosed...

I had a foreclosed property and I am now home less. The new owners is trying to find me to serve court documents for whatever damages they say they found which I know nothing of

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

They are seeking to find me to serve me papers in Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a foreclosure judgement that's all I left the house from November last year

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/27/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I'll be here to help today!

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Ok
I asked the question above
Hello

Hi, I'm not sure if the question did not post or got cut off, but I see your description, but no specific question.

Michael are you there?

Hello, yes, I am here. I'm not sure if the question did not post or got cut off, but I see your description, but no specific question.

I can see my question above

Hi, let me opt out and let another expert help you out. Thanks!

Ok thanks.
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist since the prior attorney opted out of the question.

If your home was foreclosed, you moved out, and a new owner took possession, it is unclear what grounds they would have for a lawsuit against you. In any event, if they are trying to serve you it is illegal and unwise to avoid service. You want to get those papers to see what this is all about and to respond, probably putting the matter to rest.

If for some reason they are unable to serve you, they will ultimately get a court order to mail service to your last known address. You may never get those papers and risk losing the action by default judgment. You want to avoid that, so confronting this head on is your best bet.

Once you receive service of the court documents, you can contact the attorney listed on the front page to try to resolve the matter, and file an answer to avoid a default judgment if it cannot be resolved. Also, don't allow the deadline for filing an answer to pass, just because you are or think you are in negotiations with the opposing party. The court will still treat the failure to file an answer as a default.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I'll continue to provide assistance. If I have addressed your issue and/or pointed you in a positive direction, please let me know that, as well. Also, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the help we provide.

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1

Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Thanks.
Does your website has a list of attorney to respond the the letter when I get it?
This is PA state
This occurred in Pennsylvania so I would need to respond to the letter when I receive it... if your company offers a listing for the area...
Thanks

Service would be in the form of a lawsuit, not a letter. Responding to that would require a drafted answer to be filed with the court. Your best bet would be to hire a local attorney to, at a minimum, draft it for you. A solo practitioner in your area would likely do that for a reasonable cost. A good referral source will be your county bar association. You could request a list of solo general practitioners and make a few calls to find the right fit.

In the interim, or if that doesn't work out, you can post any additional questions you may have here on this site. If you would like my help, specifically, just post in the real estate law subcategory and begin new questions with "For Attorney 1, only:" I will be notified of your post and will respond, personally.

Best,

Attorney 1

Thanks forby our help!!! 5 stars for your clarity

My pleasure, and thanks for the positive rating. Much appreciated!

Best,

Attorney 1

Attorney 1
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney