Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I purchased a house in January 2017, after I moved many

Customer Question
issues are surfacing every week...
I purchased a house in January 2017, after I moved many issues are surfacing every week and they were not disclosed during the purchase of the house. what legal remedies are available to me?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Odessa, FL
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: what paperwork?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Few a samples of the issues:
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/18/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 5 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this; was the house sold as is? Was a property inspection done? was a realtor involved?
Are these obvious, or hidden, defects?

Purchased with a full inspection, realtor was involved, defect were hidden and surfacing one after another none of which are mentioned on the inspection.

Thank you - I am sorry you are having to deal with this after making such a large purchase.

So basically the seller must disclose all known defects, even if the sale is as is. Before the concept of caveat emptor applied, with the buyer having to have a home inspection to reveal any defects; but the law has changed and now requires the seller to have an affirmative duty to disclose any and all defects.

This is pursuant to case law; for example: Johnson v. Davis, 480 So.2d 625 (Fla. 1985)

As such the buyer can sue the seller to remedy the situation which includes the cost of repairs; if the defects are serious and deemed "material" (ie they cannot be rectified; or they are so significant the contract should be voided because the plaintiff did not get what s/he bargained for).

The realtor can be liable if the realtor, through the exercise of due diligence should have known of the defects-that is usually not applicable for latent defects.

If the inspector failed to locate the defects, they can be liable based on a negligence theory: Negligence is defined as a failure to perform with the level of care that someone of ordinary prudence would have exercised under the same circumstances. The behavior usually consists of actions, but may consist of omissions when there is some duty to act. This cause of action has 5 elements: the existence of a legal duty to exercise reasonable care; a failure to exercise reasonable care; harm caused by the negligent conduct; physical harm of actual damages; and proximate cause (reasonably foreseeable damages).

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator