Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

The Licensed and Unlicensed Contractor both quit the job…

Customer Question
The Licensed and Unlicensed Contractor...
The Licensed and Unlicensed Contractor both quit the job before the house was dried in and took off with money belonging to the homeowner. The structure has been deemed unsafe to inhabit due to poor bldg. of the Structure, by a Home Inspector and a Certified Licensed Engineer and has now been awaiting Trial for 2 yrs.Also, what is the usual amount of General Liab. Ins. that a Policy will cover in regards ***** ***** $ amount?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/18/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
At this point you need to get your attorney to force this to trial before you can know if you have a case against your attorney for negligence.
Every single general liability policy has different limits, there is no answer to what the usual amount is, but for a general contractor they carry typically a minimum of $1 million liability, but that is not required and it varies from contractor to contractor.
If you lose the case or do not get what your case is worth and it was due to your attorney's conduct, then you can sue your attorney for malpractice and seek damages from your attorney. But for now you need to keep telling him in writing to stop the defendant's delays and force this case to trial and see what he says and does and if he does not answer you the way you would like, then you need to consider switching attorneys.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.