Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

Our landlord sent a text saying she was evicting us because

Customer Question

our landlord sent a text saying she was evicting us because she had the place up for sale and she needed to do some repairs. I have lived here going on 13 years and she has not once done any repairs on it.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Arkansas
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: there was never even a rental agreement
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
IF you do not have a written lease, you are a month to month tenant, which means you can be evicted with 30 day written notice. Your landlord does not need a reason to evict you and as long as she provides you 30 day written notice as a month to month tenant you would need to leave. If you do not leave and cannot negotiate this with her, then she could sue you in court for eviction based on the termination of the month to month tenancy with 30 day notice.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.